Off-topic stuff…

  • From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

    Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

    How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

    Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

    So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.


    We are Scout Motors.
Or, a Ted Benson Timber Frame.
This was my bible for two summers living off grid on Martha's Vineyard in Chilmark, working for a great guy on his farm.
I eventually wound up building a small shed for my back yard, but would still love to build my own barn someday!
The barn we built became a horse farm and we utilized mostly refurb'd yellow pine beams that were reclaimed from RI.
They were shipped to us by barge, then snaked through the forest on a narrow dirt road to our site.
Good old days before the internet!

Screenshot 2026-10-05 at 7.56.50 AM.png
 
Or, a Ted Benson Timber Frame.
This was my bible for two summers living off grid on Martha's Vineyard in Chilmark, working for a great guy on his farm.
I eventually wound up building a small shed for my back yard, but would still love to build my own barn someday!
The barn we built became a horse farm and we utilized mostly refurb'd yellow pine beams that were reclaimed from RI.
They were shipped to us by barge, then snaked through the forest on a narrow dirt road to our site.
Good old days before the internet!

View attachment 19057

I own that book! 😄

I'm not really interested in timber framing (it is way beyond my skill level), but his advice in there about home design is fantastic.
 
ok - the flex may have bit the dust tonight. Got hit by a black car with no headlights when I was pulling out of a parking lot - barely caught me on the back driver side. The back wheel is bent out a good bit so I'm afraid the axle is bent and a 2010 with 305k miles is easy to total.

So... suggestions on a replacement that is not too expensive? I'm still hopeful but I like to plan.

I like SUVs and would like an EV but am willing to look at everything. I drive about 70 miles a day in pretty fast heavy traffic so I don't really like being in a small car in that.
 
ok - the flex may have bit the dust tonight. Got hit by a black car with no headlights when I was pulling out of a parking lot - barely caught me on the back driver side. The back wheel is bent out a good bit so I'm afraid the axle is bent and a 2010 with 305k miles is easy to total.

So... suggestions on a replacement that is not too expensive? I'm still hopeful but I like to plan.

I like SUVs and would like an EV but am willing to look at everything. I drive about 70 miles a day in pretty fast heavy traffic so I don't really like being in a small car in that.
Sorry to hear about that. I'm glad you're ok and didn't get hurt.

I know this dealer is probably too far north for you but if you look at their inventory of used EVs you can get a sense of what models might be available and what a reasonable price is for a good used EV.


If you feel like making a road trip north, I can't say enough good things about this dealer. I got my Lightning from them. They are the exact opposite of the typical used car dealer experience in that they are values-driven and there is no haggling or worrying that they are trying to rip you off. They don't even work on commission. The owner, Jesse Lore is a great guy.

You could combine trips and go to the Scout event in Boston next weekend and drive home in a new EV. Two birds, one stone.
 
ok - the flex may have bit the dust tonight. Got hit by a black car with no headlights when I was pulling out of a parking lot - barely caught me on the back driver side. The back wheel is bent out a good bit so I'm afraid the axle is bent and a 2010 with 305k miles is easy to total.

So... suggestions on a replacement that is not too expensive? I'm still hopeful but I like to plan.

I like SUVs and would like an EV but am willing to look at everything. I drive about 70 miles a day in pretty fast heavy traffic so I don't really like being in a small car in that.
So sorry to hear that
 
ok - the flex may have bit the dust tonight. Got hit by a black car with no headlights when I was pulling out of a parking lot - barely caught me on the back driver side. The back wheel is bent out a good bit so I'm afraid the axle is bent and a 2010 with 305k miles is easy to total.

So... suggestions on a replacement that is not too expensive? I'm still hopeful but I like to plan.

I like SUVs and would like an EV but am willing to look at everything. I drive about 70 miles a day in pretty fast heavy traffic so I don't really like being in a small car in that.
Wow - sorry that happened to you - glad you weren’t injured.

Are you thinking about a used Ev to get you through to 2028?
 
  • Like
Reactions: cyure and nolen
ok - the flex may have bit the dust tonight. Got hit by a black car with no headlights when I was pulling out of a parking lot - barely caught me on the back driver side. The back wheel is bent out a good bit so I'm afraid the axle is bent and a 2010 with 305k miles is easy to total.

So... suggestions on a replacement that is not too expensive? I'm still hopeful but I like to plan.

I like SUVs and would like an EV but am willing to look at everything. I drive about 70 miles a day in pretty fast heavy traffic so I don't really like being in a small car in that.

I hope you are alright after the impact.


The Chevy Bolt EUV is a smaller car, so that might be wrong for you, but it’s usually a great bargain because too many people think it’s ugly. And I really enjoy driving it in the city.

The Mustang Mach-E is a great car and it’s typically a pretty good bargain used. It’s on the lower side. One of the reasons my partner decided to go with the R2 is because of its taller stance.

I loved our Lightning and wish I could get it back. Because it was cancelled by Ford you may be able to get a decent used price, but you’ll be taking a chance on Ford supporting it long-term if you decide you want to keep it.

My partner liked the ID.4, but I felt it drove like a boat. You may have a different experience. It’s a fairly decently-priced used EV right now.

My partner loves the Rivian R2, but you’re unlikely to be able to find a used one.
There are some decently-priced used Rivian R1Ts out there, but you have to be careful about miles and watch out for branded titles.

I’ve heard okay things about the Honda Prologue, but don’t know much about it.

Similarly, I’ve heard decent things about the Chevy Blazer EV and Chevy Equinox EVs and the Cadillac Lyriq.

Kia/Hyundai have some great vehicles, but other than the EV9/Ioniq9, I’m struggling to think of one that seems like it wouldn’t feel small in heavy traffic.

Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc have mid-sized to full-sized SUV-like EVs, but I’m not as well-informed about those.
 
Yeah that would be best I think. Hopefully would be either something not horribly expensive or something we can resell so it won’t wipe out the savings we have for the Scout.
I am so sorry nolen. I am just glad you are okay.

Let us know what you end up with. Any desire to lease an EV or it won’t work because of your daily mileage?
 
  • Like
Reactions: nolen and maynard
I hope you are alright after the impact.


The Chevy Bolt EUV is a smaller car, so that might be wrong for you, but it’s usually a great bargain because too many people think it’s ugly. And I really enjoy driving it in the city.

The Mustang Mach-E is a great car and it’s typically a pretty good bargain used. It’s on the lower side. One of the reasons my partner decided to go with the R2 is because of its taller stance.

I loved our Lightning and wish I could get it back. Because it was cancelled by Ford you may be able to get a decent used price, but you’ll be taking a chance on Ford supporting it long-term if you decide you want to keep it.

My partner liked the ID.4, but I felt it drove like a boat. You may have a different experience. It’s a fairly decently-priced used EV right now.

My partner loves the Rivian R2, but you’re unlikely to be able to find a used one.
There are some decently-priced used Rivian R1Ts out there, but you have to be careful about miles and watch out for branded titles.

I’ve heard okay things about the Honda Prologue, but don’t know much about it.

Similarly, I’ve heard decent things about the Chevy Blazer EV and Chevy Equinox EVs and the Cadillac Lyriq.

Kia/Hyundai have some great vehicles, but other than the EV9/Ioniq9, I’m struggling to think of one that seems like it wouldn’t feel small in heavy traffic.

Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc have mid-sized to full-sized SUV-like EVs, but I’m not as well-informed about those.
Thanks! Lots of good info there once I can sit and think again. I’m supposed to be on vacation with my parents and my sister and her family so it’s just a great time for it all.

Fortunately she hit us so far back and her car was so much smaller, we didn’t even get spun around completely. Just shoved the back end fully into the center turn lane and I could stop there. My son, who has never wanted to drive, is pretty shaken from it but is physically fine. I think he wants to drive even less now though.
IMG_1319.jpeg
IMG_1321.jpeg
 
I am so sorry nolen. I am just glad you are okay.

Let us know what you end up with. Any desire to lease an EV or it won’t work because of your daily mileage?
I have a spreadsheet set up to calculate the cost of the overage and see how it compares. But I do usually go about 20k miles a year which doesn’t fit the leases well.
 
  • Like
Reactions: maynard and cyure
Thanks! Lots of good info there once I can sit and think again. I’m supposed to be on vacation with my parents and my sister and her family so it’s just a great time for it all.

Fortunately she hit us so far back and her car was so much smaller, we didn’t even get spun around completely. Just shoved the back end fully into the center turn lane and I could stop there. My son, who has never wanted to drive, is pretty shaken from it but is physically fine. I think he wants to drive even less now though. View attachment 19141View attachment 19142
I have a kid like that. He finally did learn to drive but only drives when. He absolutely has to.
 
I have a kid like that. He finally did learn to drive but only drives when. He absolutely has to.
Yeah. He had almost convinced himself to try for his license because almost every job lists having one as a requirement but now I’m not sure what he’ll do. Sucks all around
 
  • Sad
Reactions: maynard and cyure
It’s so odd to hear this. When I was growing up I couldn’t wait to start driving, and still like it. It’s a generational thing I guess.
My son is 30 and wants to live in a big city and never have to have a car - he doesn’t want the responsibility or the stress of driving. My daughter is 21 and got her license the second she could 🤣