Extra, Extra....Read All About It!

  • From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

    Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

    How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

    Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

    So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.


    We are Scout Motors.
Scout Motors begins 1,100-acre reforestation and wildlife revival
Love these types of articles as it hits home with me being in residential and commercial development and we all need to do more. 30 + years ago in architecture/college we were taught every building should take the equivalent of 20% of the building cost for landscaping. Virtually nobody does that because they spend more on the buildings/houses they build but imagine how great it would be if everyone took that approach. I’m sure SM is required to do a lot of this work but still great to see them doing it the smart way.
 
This is part of the problem with EV adoption. Most people have range anxiety anyway. Then they get promised that the EV will travel "x" miles and when they see they don't go anywhere near that far, they feel like they are being lied to, making them even more resistant to adopting EVs. The same happens for ICE. They rarely, if ever, meet the EPA projections but people don't care/don't keep track because they can stop anywhere and refuel in five minutes.
yep.
We estimated 150 miles real world highway when the 222 epa mixed driving rating dropped - well, actually CASEY estimated it. So C&D did better ;-)
 
  • Like
Reactions: J Alynn and maynard
yep.
We estimated 150 miles real world highway when the 222 epa mixed driving rating dropped - well, actually CASEY estimated it. So C&D did better ;-)
I'm just hoping that the Harvester gets a legit 150 miles on 35's (unlikely, but I can hope). I only use about 65-70 miles per day for my commute, but it's worse in the winter. I don't want to switch from my BEV but I can't wait for the BEV so I'm getting the Harvester (well, I CAN wait, but don't want to).
 
  • Like
Reactions: J Alynn
I don't want to switch from my BEV but I can't wait for the BEV so I'm getting the Harvester (well, I CAN wait, but don't want to).
After owning my pure BEV truck, there is literally nothing that could make me want to go back to ICE or even a combo / hybrid system with EREV.

That said, I fully appreciate what Scout is doing here (creating a bridge), but I honestly think more and more reservations will back away from the Harvester with each day that passes. The number of days per year that I would potentially benefit from more convenience with the EREV I could count on one hand, so just not worth the trade-offs that go with multiple systems, more maintenance, noise, potentially lower performance, more SW complexity and the added costs. It would be hard to go backwards in my case, but probably also depends on your experience with other OEM's / trucks / SUV's too.
 
Looks like I won't be converting my 2.5 year R2 reservation to an order as the Toyota bZ Woodland has now risen to top of the ID.4 replacement list when the lease comes up in February. Test drove one at the dealer and this thing is a very competent swiss army knife akin to an electric Subaru Outback which makes sense since it's sibling is the Subaru Trailseeker. Comfortable, quiet, well equipped, fast, and no concerns about product quality or support which is something I can't say about Rivian.

Since I had no idea this car existed until two weeks ago I'm posting a pic below.
1791239797040.png
 

180k reservations for harvester? That’s insane no wonder they are starting with EREV.

She seems very skeptical of scout and the entry price of sub 60k. And she also seems like non believer in that scout will come to market and be built. Very sad.
 
Last edited:
After owning my pure BEV truck, there is literally nothing that could make me want to go back to ICE or even a combo / hybrid system with EREV.

That said, I fully appreciate what Scout is doing here (creating a bridge), but I honestly think more and more reservations will back away from the Harvester with each day that passes. The number of days per year that I would potentially benefit from more convenience with the EREV I could count on one hand, so just not worth the trade-offs that go with multiple systems, more maintenance, noise, potentially lower performance, more SW complexity and the added costs. It would be hard to go backwards in my case, but probably also depends on your experience with other OEM's / trucks / SUV's too.
I so appreciate all of you BEV owners and all your education. I never would have considered a BEV not being a part of this community.

I’ve been thinking about our road trips to see the concepts and how they would have been different in a BEV. 1500 miles round trip was a long drive.

Then today I’m at a work event and I spoke with a colleague who has a BEV Macan. He went from Colorado to Pennsylvania, 1750 miles in 36 hours. He set his percentage for charging stops to 5% remaining on his battery! He just said range anxiety goes down with experience and was very encouraging that I will be fine in a BEV.

I just keep telling myself that.
 
Looks like I won't be converting my 2.5 year R2 reservation to an order as the Toyota bZ Woodland has now risen to top of the ID.4 replacement list when the lease comes up in February. Test drove one at the dealer and this thing is a very competent swiss army knife akin to an electric Subaru Outback which makes sense since it's sibling is the Subaru Trailseeker. Comfortable, quiet, well equipped, fast, and no concerns about product quality or support which is something I can't say about Rivian.

Since I had no idea this car existed until two weeks ago I'm posting a pic below.
View attachment 19066
For fun, if you haven’t already, test drive the Lexus RZ. With the deals they are running it might not be terribly more expensive but I’d be curious of your thoughts on fit and finish, etc….
 
  • Like
Reactions: chucchinchilla
IIRC I don't think they have actually said they were starting with the EREV. I recall them saying they were putting more priority into its development. It was started later and is more complex - it will need more priority to be ready for production at the same time. Likewise, even if they put more priority into the EREV production (which in all fairness makes sense due to more reservations), that does not mean they will not be rolling out EV's at the same time.

Personally I feel like the EREV is a very good short term stratify, but I think competition, changing tech, and changing perceptions will limit it in the long run. Putting more priority on it in the short term is a good strategic decision - cash in now, and adjust as demand dictates. I just hope they don't offend the EV community by completely putting us on the back burner - but I seriously doubt they will do that.
 
After owning my pure BEV truck, there is literally nothing that could make me want to go back to ICE or even a combo / hybrid system with EREV.

That said, I fully appreciate what Scout is doing here (creating a bridge), but I honestly think more and more reservations will back away from the Harvester with each day that passes. The number of days per year that I would potentially benefit from more convenience with the EREV I could count on one hand, so just not worth the trade-offs that go with multiple systems, more maintenance, noise, potentially lower performance, more SW complexity and the added costs. It would be hard to go backwards in my case, but probably also depends on your experience with other OEM's / trucks / SUV's too.
I'm totally in the same boat. I don't want to go back, even to an EREV, but my familiar circumstances will require it. We have one ICE (my wife) and one BEV (me) right now. My wife wants to stay that way. My in-laws' lake cabin is about 4.5 hours away where I have to drive across rural America to get there. Charging infrastructure is either non-existent or way out of the way because it's off the highway. This is a real issue in the upper Midwest. My wife wants and ICE in the house so we don't have to worry about charging on those trips. Right now that's hers, but she needs a new vehicle. My wife cannot wait for a new vehicle. I'm crossing my fingers it'll make it even make it to Scout launch. When Scout revealed their trucks, I was going to get the BEV Terra and my wife the Harvester Traveler (that was ICE equivalent). Now that the Terra is delayed (allegedly) and the BEV Traveler is the same (allegedly), our plan is out the window. Because she needs something new around the window Scout is coming out, she wants the R2, "sticking" me with the Harvester. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to trade my Scout in for the next gen Scout, battery tech/infrastructure will have improved so we can be a double BEV household.
 
I'm totally in the same boat. I don't want to go back, even to an EREV, but my familiar circumstances will require it. We have one ICE (my wife) and one BEV (me) right now. My wife wants to stay that way. My in-laws' lake cabin is about 4.5 hours away where I have to drive across rural America to get there. Charging infrastructure is either non-existent or way out of the way because it's off the highway. This is a real issue in the upper Midwest.
Simple! Get the in-laws to install solar and a L2 charger at the lake... LOL

The infrastructure has gotten exponentially better in northern New England during my short 4-year ownership period, so hopefully it does the same in your region. I actually found charging infrastructure that i did not even know existing (before it even appeared in my SW), so don't always trust singular sources for charging information... You may be pleasantly surprised. I even found a car dealership with a bank of DCFC's that were mapped incorrectly.

When I go to a "destination" in the North, it is usually for more than a day too, so I can also use destination charging and not be dependent on DCFC in many cases. YMMV of course.
 
Last edited:
Simple! Get the in-laws to install solar and a L2 charger at the lake... LOL

The infrastructure has gotten exponentially better in northern New England during my short year ownership period, so hopefully it does the same in your region. I actually found charging infrastructure that i did not even know existing (before it even appeared in my SW), so don't always trust singular sources for charging information... You may be pleasantly surprised. I even found a car dealership with a bank of DCFC's that were mapped incorrectly.

When I go to a "destination" in the North, it is usually for more than a day too, so I can also use destination charging and not be dependent on DCFC in many cases. YMMV of course.
Or:
1791303751146.png
 
Simple! Get the in-laws to install solar and a L2 charger at the lake... LOL

The infrastructure has gotten exponentially better in northern New England during my short 4-year ownership period, so hopefully it does the same in your region. I actually found charging infrastructure that i did not even know existing (before it even appeared in my SW), so don't always trust singular sources for charging information... You may be pleasantly surprised. I even found a car dealership with a bank of DCFC's that were mapped incorrectly.

When I go to a "destination" in the North, it is usually for more than a day too, so I can also use destination charging and not be dependent on DCFC in many cases. YMMV of course.
HAHAHA! I actually installed an L2 charger at the lake in my father-in-law's shop (what we call a massive 60x40 garage up here)!!! The problem is the route between the lake and home (Twin Cities). Once you're about 2 hours out (just far enough that if you stop too early, you still won't make it) there's legitimately nothing but one-bar towns (that's what I call really small towns around here) and dense Northwoods. Cell service doesn't even work half the way. There is one charger about half way there, but it's about 30 minutes out of the way.

It'll take a long time for those remote areas to fill in. What I truly don't understand is why those gas stations in Nowhereville USA that are on the way to a tourist location don't just throw chargers in. It's no cost to them. Ionna or Chargpoint will install them. Maybe they won't make much or any money off of them, but I'll sure buy some snacks or whatever when I'm charging.
 
  • Like
Reactions: maynard and R1TVT