Extra, Extra....Read All About It!

  • From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

    Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

    How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

    Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

    So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.


    We are Scout Motors.
Those look like the Scout RC cars they were running at the SC event.

View attachment 18113View attachment 18114
So I finally took mine out of the box yesterday and tried it out. Good, the battery was already charged. Also good, it was a rugged little beast that rolled over several times without visible damage when I misjudged the size of the rocks and more importantly gaps between rocks in my yard. Not so great, before I had even used up the battery I managed to have the read drive shaft U-joint come apart. Apparently this is a known issue and I don't have the right size screwdrivers with me. So if you buy one, I'd go ahead and get a screwdriver set and replacement metal drive shafts from injora https://www.injora.com/collections/1-18-redcat-ascent-18-apex-upgrade-parts/drive-shafts or meus https://www.meusracing.com/products/ascent-18-apex-drive-shafts

I went with Meus, will find out in a few weeks if that was a good choice (because it takes a few days to arrive, and then I'm busy with work stuff for a few weeks).
 
  • Like
Reactions: maynard and cyure
So I finally took mine out of the box yesterday and tried it out. Good, the battery was already charged. Also good, it was a rugged little beast that rolled over several times without visible damage when I misjudged the size of the rocks and more importantly gaps between rocks in my yard. Not so great, before I had even used up the battery I managed to have the read drive shaft U-joint come apart. Apparently this is a known issue and I don't have the right size screwdrivers with me. So if you buy one, I'd go ahead and get a screwdriver set and replacement metal drive shafts from injora https://www.injora.com/collections/1-18-redcat-ascent-18-apex-upgrade-parts/drive-shafts or meus https://www.meusracing.com/products/ascent-18-apex-drive-shafts

I went with Meus, will find out in a few weeks if that was a good choice (because it takes a few days to arrive, and then I'm busy with work stuff for a few weeks).
I was just about to comment to you and say replace the shafts they suck. But you added it in already.
 
  • Like
Reactions: maynard and J Alynn
Is it going to fly or something

IMG_0323.png
 
But how is that legal to be on the road?
They have been teasing a "track package" (ie not street legal) version of the V3 Roadster since 2017 that will use cold gas thrusters from SpaceX as a kind of active aerodynamics setup to improve cornering. With this package the rear seat will be removed and replaced with a compressed air tank to drive the thrusters. It will be stupidly loud and definitely not street legal. There will be a regular version without this system that will be street legal.

In the spirit of Elon saying that the Cybertruck could be a boat (it can't - another in the long list of Elon's lies) he tweeted that the new Roadster would be able to hover on these thrusters. It won't of course - there is no aerodynamic need to put thrusters on the bottom of a car.

All that being said, if the forecast is for rain, delaying it makes sense. The whole selling point of this thing is stupidly quick acceleration and for that you need lots of traction. Wet roads are not going to do it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: bwdavis7 and cyure