Do You Want Your Scout To Have A Hands-Free Driving System?

  • From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

    Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

    How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

    Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

    So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.


    We are Scout Motors.

eddiet1212

Scout Community Veteran
Oct 25, 2024
494
977
36532
www.scoutmotors.com
Do You Want Your Scout To Have A Hands-Free Driving System?

I do NOT want my Scout to drive itself.

Part of owning a hands-on vehicle would be the satisfaction of tactile power over your destiny while enjoying the ride.

If I wanted a robo-car then I could buy a future Rivian.

Reuters
Rivian to launch hands-free driving system in 2025, 'eyes-off' in 2026

 
Upvote 12
I'm with many that I also like to drive but I do want autonomous driving, as much of my commute to and from work is highways and long trips to the inlaws on interstates and state highways can get tedious. I want it mainly for interstates and highways. Level II+ is hands off on interstates and highways. That's what I need and want. The problem is though that Level II+ only works on your typical highways and interstates with normal exits. If you're on a state or county highway that has a light somewhere or some crossing or something, it doesn't work. That's annoying for me because that's much of what many of us drive. I have to keep my eyes on the road anyway. Let it drive and let me worry about lights and crossings. This is basically what Rivian's Autonomy+ is but I didn't like it when I had it so I didn't subscribe. I always felt like it drove like a 15 year old with their driving permit, only reacting rather than anticipating. No offense to the 15 year olds on this forum. :ROFLMAO:
Uh “…keep your eyes on the road…” That’s a really good idea.

😜
 
There’s a reason why Tesla is so popular and it’s not just being an early EV mover.
Tesla pulls in a more tech focused crowd, those that want to feel like they're on the bleeding edge of tech. We can argue whether Tesla is on the bleeding edge of tech or not (Tesla has removed many features and high end tech items [lidar] over time from their vehicles) but their main demographic are tech focused users.
 
Agreed, but to drive hours to an off-road destination vacation... I'd still want reliable hands free systems if I'm paying $70-100k.
 
I use cruise control in town - especially in my VW. Love the button that raises or drops the speed by 5mph. I drive through too many small towns that fund their police departments with speeding tickets. I press that button religiously to make sure I coast down before the speed limit sign, and use it again on the other side of the town to make sure I don't overshoot the speed limit too much leaving. Honestly suspect it is safer too - I don't have to glue my eyes to the speedometer. I know in advance when I need 2 button pushes to tag the posted speed. Lots easier than my Ford where I have to time the button push (I think it is about a 3 second push to do the same thing, and I can easily mangle that one).
 
Scout Autonomy – hands off on limited-access highways and two-lane roads?

I’m asking because Scott Keogh a few weeks ago in his podcast interview and Chris Benjamin just the other day in his interview with Kara Java gave some interesting facts. Scout has revealed their trucks will have “Level II+” autonomy. I think Scott said they don’t want to do the Tesla FSD thing and want Scout owners to drive and enjoy driving their vehicles (agreed!). Chris said that Scout understands roundtripping can get tiring and Scout wants to allow for some assistance there.

Does “Level II+” include more than just interstate to encompass limited-access divided highways and two-lane highways? I sure hope it does because I think that’s a lot of what we do for road tripping. At least it is for me. As an example, I have a 4.5 hour trip to northern Minnesota to my in-laws lake cabin. About the first 1.5 hours is Minneapolis/St. Paul/suburb lake traffic on interstate. I would think “Level II+” will most certainly take care of that for me. But that leaves me with about 1.5 hours on limited-access divided highways and another 1.5 hours on two-lane highways. That 3 hours is pretty taxing mentally. It’s just miles and miles of woods. I’d like to be able to have the truck drive me those three hours and me monitor and pay attention.

I understand the two-lane roads are a pandora’s box. All city streets are technically two lane roads and I understand why Scout would not want autonomy there (I don’t disagree!). I wonder if Scout could fix that though by setting a speed limit on it. Nothing under 55 mph, for example.

What do you fine folks think? I don’t know if @Jamie@ScoutMotors can weigh in on this or help in any way, but I thought I’d tag him anyway.
 
Scout Autonomy – hands off on limited-access highways and two-lane roads?

I’m asking because Scott Keogh a few weeks ago in his podcast interview and Chris Benjamin just the other day in his interview with Kara Java gave some interesting facts. Scout has revealed their trucks will have “Level II+” autonomy. I think Scott said they don’t want to do the Tesla FSD thing and want Scout owners to drive and enjoy driving their vehicles (agreed!). Chris said that Scout understands roundtripping can get tiring and Scout wants to allow for some assistance there.

Does “Level II+” include more than just interstate to encompass limited-access divided highways and two-lane highways? I sure hope it does because I think that’s a lot of what we do for road tripping. At least it is for me. As an example, I have a 4.5 hour trip to northern Minnesota to my in-laws lake cabin. About the first 1.5 hours is Minneapolis/St. Paul/suburb lake traffic on interstate. I would think “Level II+” will most certainly take care of that for me. But that leaves me with about 1.5 hours on limited-access divided highways and another 1.5 hours on two-lane highways. That 3 hours is pretty taxing mentally. It’s just miles and miles of woods. I’d like to be able to have the truck drive me those three hours and me monitor and pay attention.

I understand the two-lane roads are a pandora’s box. All city streets are technically two lane roads and I understand why Scout would not want autonomy there (I don’t disagree!). I wonder if Scout could fix that though by setting a speed limit on it. Nothing under 55 mph, for example.

What do you fine folks think? I don’t know if @Jamie@ScoutMotors can weigh in on this or help in any way, but I thought I’d tag him anyway.
So the challenge is that "Level 2+" is not a thing. Mobileye, Tesla, and others (apparently now Scout) have made that up as a Marketing term to imply that it's "just like" Level 3 but you're still responsible.

I would assume that interstate and divided highways are table stakes now. Rural 2 lanes are more of a stretch as you might come around a corner and there's a cow or a combine in the road.

It sounds like they are using Rivian's tech, what are their limitations?