Loaded Traveler with Harvester?

  • From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

    Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

    How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

    Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

    So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.


    We are Scout Motors.
And I’m hopeful any launch edition would also allow for roof choice.

And that’s another question, would a launch edition be with or without tire carrier or could you choose? Lots of questions.

I mean I’m happy to lend PBY to be used as a special color for 2028 models. I’m generous that way. 😹
And those items remain unknown. Same with integrated winch, rock sliders, etc.. but maybe you’ll be able to add through the accessories shop?
 
  • Like
Reactions: maynard and cyure
And those items remain unknown. Same with integrated winch, rock sliders, etc.. but maybe you’ll be able to add through the accessories shop?
To @cyure: If I had to guess, I'd guess we could spec (add, remove, replace) things that wouldn't require engineering. I'm thinking tires, wheels, color (inside and out), autonomy (it's software at the end of the day they just toggle on or off), and probably bench v. captain's chairs (they are really pushing the bench seat idea so I'd be surprised if you couldn't add or subtract at launch). I don't know know about the tire carrier. I would think you could spec that in or out but there is some engineering that comes with that. I do wonder if we get a good idea about it when the visualizer comes out in November or December as Jamie said. I would hope that whatever you could add or subtract would be available to spec at launch. Launch is far enough away as is. No sense is getting people excited over a build that won't be available for two years after launch.

To @J Allyn's point, the accessories might be able to be added to the accessories shop, but I sure would like to see that just being part of the purchase. I'm thinking behind the scenes they'd have it installed after purchase as an accessory. I don't know most purchasers care how that sausage is made just as long as they get their rock sliders when they pick their truck up!
 
To @cyure: If I had to guess, I'd guess we could spec (add, remove, replace) things that wouldn't require engineering. I'm thinking tires, wheels, color (inside and out), autonomy (it's software at the end of the day they just toggle on or off), and probably bench v. captain's chairs (they are really pushing the bench seat idea so I'd be surprised if you couldn't add or subtract at launch). I don't know know about the tire carrier. I would think you could spec that in or out but there is some engineering that comes with that. I do wonder if we get a good idea about it when the visualizer comes out in November or December as Jamie said. I would hope that whatever you could add or subtract would be available to spec at launch. Launch is far enough away as is. No sense is getting people excited over a build that won't be available for two years after launch.

To @J Allyn's point, the accessories might be able to be added to the accessories shop, but I sure would like to see that just being part of the purchase. I'm thinking behind the scenes they'd have it installed after purchase as an accessory. I don't know most purchasers care how that sausage is made just as long as they get their rock sliders when they pick their truck up!
Thanks. So now I have another questions. Let’s say for example you want a steel bumper with a winch that’s available in the accessories shop. Does your Scout get a “regular” bumper put on at factory and the it goes to the accessories shop to have that one removed and replaced. That seems like a waste of a part.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sammy and maynard
To @cyure: If I had to guess, I'd guess we could spec (add, remove, replace) things that wouldn't require engineering. I'm thinking tires, wheels, color (inside and out), autonomy (it's software at the end of the day they just toggle on or off), and probably bench v. captain's chairs (they are really pushing the bench seat idea so I'd be surprised if you couldn't add or subtract at launch). I don't know know about the tire carrier. I would think you could spec that in or out but there is some engineering that comes with that. I do wonder if we get a good idea about it when the visualizer comes out in November or December as Jamie said. I would hope that whatever you could add or subtract would be available to spec at launch. Launch is far enough away as is. No sense is getting people excited over a build that won't be available for two years after launch.

To @J Allyn's point, the accessories might be able to be added to the accessories shop, but I sure would like to see that just being part of the purchase. I'm thinking behind the scenes they'd have it installed after purchase as an accessory. I don't know most purchasers care how that sausage is made just as long as they get their rock sliders when they pick their truck up!
Agree. I’m wondering as of late if they will launch a mountain side launch edition and an off-roader set up launch version to appeal to both groups. Lock in the engineering as you noted then they get the offroad AND suburban buyers and you can accessorize after the fact.
 
  • Like
Reactions: maynard and cyure
Thanks. So now I have another questions. Let’s say for example you want a steel bumper with a winch that’s available in the accessories shop. Does your Scout get a “regular” bumper put on at factory and the it goes to the accessories shop to have that one removed and replaced. That seems like a waste of a part.
May be the case at launch depending on what they have ready as far as parts and as far as the included assembly process. Does seem silly. Goes back to my other response that maybe they will have the two variants and each set up as an upscale but not over the top build then accessorize from there
 
  • Like
Reactions: maynard
Maybe the first 10,000 or 20,000 units should be the Launch edition regardless of build spec. A special badge could be part of that.
Then the next question is where would said badge go and if you didn’t want it could you delete it? Oh and would it be numbered like 1 of 10,000 or whatever?
 
  • Like
Reactions: maynard
It would have to be numbered, and it could go right where the “all wheel drive” was on the side of the original scouts.

Or perhaps its part of the vin plate in the door.
 
  • Like
Reactions: maynard
I think, as much as I’d love to build my ASAP and be first 2,000 I think it needs to be a special opportunity to make it unique. I think it’s a lost opportunity for SM. But just me
 
  • Like
Reactions: maynard
Historically any new launch vehicle comes as a premium. They need to ramp up and make consistent builds to avoid mistakes. And as it was noted they need to recoup money as quickly as they can so a premium vehicle is the only way to not saying it has to be $90K but the average simple build will likely push $70K for most buyers so as much as we can say faith and patience the first rounds at a minimum will be $75K then options will push to over $80. If you look at Bronco for example and build one you are likely $8-$10K in options and their starting models range over $10K with special editions being an additional $20K. That means a base model as a special editions being could potentially be $90K for a loaded off-road set up.
I’d like to think things like winch, steel bumpers, and off road “add components “ will be above and beyond since probably 70% of buyers don’t need and theoretically they can be added later so that is why I see it being $80-$80K.
I was on Bronco6g forum (lurker not active) and many said they wanted base and Ford still launched with a launch package with a premium ILO a base model. Obviously we are all taking stabs and we all want to be at $60K but what the keep showing is not base models so guess time will tell

When I built my 2021 OBX SAS and got every option I wanted, steel bumper, lux package metal bumper, all the bells and whistles it was around 60k and no regrets so far. Hoping with harvester and similar lux options on Scout to be around 70-75. Hoping the starting price is like 55 rather than 59,999.99.

Also, being a couple years away, would those ev incentives be back in play? How did that work IRT price?
 
  • Like
Reactions: maynard and cyure
I guess a lot will depend on Scouts marketing philosophy. Once upon a time, when dinosaurs ruled the earth, I audited car dealerships. The profit was almost all in dealer incentives and dealer add-ons, and dealer add-ons were the real gravy. But even from a manufacturer's perspective, most upgrades really don't cost them all that much of variable costs. Plenty of fixed costs - there is R&D, there is production tooling, there is additional factory space, definitely additional flooring costs. But the actual manufacturing costs are a fraction of the price they add to the cost of the vehicle. They allow the car company to segment the market, selling what is essentially the same vehicle at different price points to insure the company has maximum profitability.

How much Scout will do that is yet to be seen - but they will do it to a greater or lessor extent. They know a segment of the early adopters will have less price aversion. They are not targeting the budget market, so again less price aversion. Still I hope they will price the Scout to reward early adopters and to have continued sales w/o slashing the price after the early adopters drop their cash. There is a lot of goodwill to be won or lost. There are probably plenty of 2 car families that could become 2 Scout families if they do it right. I would love to see the Traveler become the best selling full sized SUV in the US as fast as they can ramp up production - and stay the best selling one for years after that.
 
I tend to agree with @6speed. I'm "budgeting" (who are we kidding, I'll pay whatever, but gotta have a budget in mind!) $95K, hoping that it'll be closer to $85K. I think we all have to be honest with ourselves too about what will be available at launch. There's a very low likelihood of much less than a fully decked-out Traveler Harvester for some period of time. Can manufacturers make the most money on these trim levels and right away, they need to recoup all their losses from the start-up process.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Reactions: J Alynn and maynard
There is one surefire way to avoid paying early-adopter prices…
Exercise some self control and Don’t buy one of the first units.

😵‍💫

(Like I’m going to be able to do that.)
As soon as I can get the build I want I’m going for it. Even if I haven’t been able to test drive. I just have that much faith in the team.
 
I tend to agree with @6speed. I'm "budgeting" (who are we kidding, I'll pay whatever, but gotta have a budget in mind!) $95K, hoping that it'll be closer to $85K. I think we all have to be honest with ourselves too about what will be available at launch. There's a very low likelihood of much less than a fully decked-out Traveler Harvester for some period of time. Can manufacturers make the most money on these trim levels and right away, they need to recoup all their losses from the start-up process.
Really hope it’s closer to your 85 number!
 
I tend to agree with @6speed. I'm "budgeting" (who are we kidding, I'll pay whatever, but gotta have a budget in mind!) $95K, hoping that it'll be closer to $85K. I think we all have to be honest with ourselves too about what will be available at launch. There's a very low likelihood of much less than a fully decked-out Traveler Harvester for some period of time. Can manufacturers make the most money on these trim levels and right away, they need to recoup all their losses from the start-up process.
I agree but your " some period of time" will depend solely on the number of people willing to purchase said loaded models. As soon as demand for the high end trims drops off, Scout will start producing the cheaper versions. They have to keep the line running.
 
I tend to agree with @6speed. I'm "budgeting" (who are we kidding, I'll pay whatever, but gotta have a budget in mind!) $95K, hoping that it'll be closer to $85K. I think we all have to be honest with ourselves too about what will be available at launch. There's a very low likelihood of much less than a fully decked-out Traveler Harvester for some period of time. Can manufacturers make the most money on these trim levels and right away, they need to recoup all their losses from the start-up process.
Rivian originally set a Launch Edition target price that was very value-forward based on the LE spec...

Then, we all know what happened -> a global pandemic -> supply chain shortages -> increased costs -> tough labor conditions.

Rivian was forced into a tough corner since the first batch of trucks would be going out of the factory with much higher costs than originally planned. They then announced a price increase would need to be implemented and then reservation holders completely freaked - full on mutiny.

Rivian then reversed course and decided to eat some of those costs and generate good-will with their most important base of new customers by keeping their initial pricing intact.

Did they have to do it? NO.
Would it delay profitability? YES.
Was it the right decision for a fledgling company in the long-run to drive good will and create conversion? YES.

Scout will need to walk a line based on the pricing expectations that have been set to generate the same good will and foster brand loyalty with a similar set of their most valued buyers - the OG's. Scout can have a base model that is well-appointed meet their pricing targets AND offer a "Launch Edition" of sorts with value-forward pricing that is very competitive for the first set of buyers. They can adjust pricing going forward, as needed, but these first customers are going to be a sounding board for Scout and for those that will be potentially new to the Scout Brand. Lastly, I would rather wait longer to get my Scout knowing that initial quality was going to be higher. Rushing these out before adequate testing is complete or when some part needs to be re-engineered (for example) will just lead to frustration for the brand and owners. The focus on initial quality should be paramount, as that will also be a huge driver for profitability in the long term. Service is expensive, loaners will be hard to come by at first, and paying for rentals while trucks are in the shop will also be costly as the service network grows and develops. Reducing as many initial service visits out of the gate will be so important! Just my o2 cents.
 
Last edited:
I guess a lot will depend on Scouts marketing philosophy. Once upon a time, when dinosaurs ruled the earth, I audited car dealerships. The profit was almost all in dealer incentives and dealer add-ons, and dealer add-ons were the real gravy. But even from a manufacturer's perspective, most upgrades really don't cost them all that much of variable costs. Plenty of fixed costs - there is R&D, there is production tooling, there is additional factory space, definitely additional flooring costs. But the actual manufacturing costs are a fraction of the price they add to the cost of the vehicle. They allow the car company to segment the market, selling what is essentially the same vehicle at different price points to insure the company has maximum profitability.

How much Scout will do that is yet to be seen - but they will do it to a greater or lessor extent. They know a segment of the early adopters will have less price aversion. They are not targeting the budget market, so again less price aversion. Still I hope they will price the Scout to reward early adopters and to have continued sales w/o slashing the price after the early adopters drop their cash. There is a lot of goodwill to be won or lost. There are probably plenty of 2 car families that could become 2 Scout families if they do it right. I would love to see the Traveler become the best selling full sized SUV in the US as fast as they can ramp up production - and stay the best selling one for years after that.
Agree-and also see them successfully scale up their product lines faster for 3-row, two door or smaller lifestyle vehicle and maybe a new cross over segment vehicle for Baja style driving
 
  • Like
Reactions: maynard