Okay so I think that’s competitive. Better than 3/36k that we got on the Supra.This is what Scout said about their warranty in 2024:
4/48k comprehensive
7/100k electric drivetrain
8/100k battery
Everyone buying Scouts for the first couple of years is taking a huge risk not knowing how these cars will hold up over time, a beefy warranty is the only way to ease those concerns.The Rivian R2 has a 4/50k comprehensive and 8/120k battery/drivetrain warranty.
The R1 with the larger battery has 8/150k battery/drivetrain warranty. (Down from 8/175k for the older generation.)
Warranty should be more than adequate. I just hope that they stand behind it if they offer it and don’t make excuses or try to deny because you took it off road on a gravel path one given time. I heard some issues with the Broncos early on. It’s one thing to go boulder bashing and break something and be denied (within reason) but whole other issue if they fight minor issues. The issue was Bronco advertised trail capable, etc… then people ran them hard, broke and or found fail points then argued it should be covered. And I can see both sides of the sword. If you market highly capable then honor it but guess you also need a comprehensive list of what you can and can’t do within the confines of the warranty program being valid/invalid?The Rivian R2 has a 4/50k comprehensive and 8/120k battery/drivetrain warranty.
The R1 with the larger battery has 8/150k battery/drivetrain warranty. (Down from 8/175k for the older generation.)
Warranty should be more than adequate. I just hope that they stand behind it if they offer it and don’t make excuses or try to deny because you took it off road on a gravel path one given time. I heard some issues with the Broncos early on. It’s one thing to go boulder bashing and break something and be denied (within reason) but whole other issue if they fight minor issues. The issue was Bronco advertised trail capable, etc… then people ran them hard, broke and or found fail points then argued it should be covered. And I can see both sides of the sword. If you market highly capable then honor it but guess you also need a comprehensive list of what you can and can’t do within the confines of the warranty program being valid/invalid?
Everyone buying Scouts for the first couple of years is taking a huge risk not knowing how these cars will hold up over time, a beefy warranty is the only way to ease those concerns.
Scout needs to at least match Rivian's warranty full stop. Anything less says the calculus on durability is sub-Rivian which is no bueno.
I'd be satisfied with that. Totally. @Chuckles Thanks for digging this up and letting us know about it!This is what Scout said about their warranty in 2024:
4/48k comprehensive
7/100k electric drivetrain
8/100k battery
It's not just about confidence. There are very real accounting aspects to warranties. The company must hold significant amounts of cash in escrow to pay those future warranty claims. They could be an issue for a new company needing cashflow.I see no reason why Scout can't offer the same outside of lacking confidence in quality. Hyundai has been doing this since 1998 and has gained a lot of sales/consumer confidence because of it.
That's interesting and makes sense, but at the end of the day they still have to compete against the likes of Rivian/etc. so hopefully they can compete on that front as well.It's not just about confidence. There are very real accounting aspects to warranties. The company must hold significant amounts of cash in escrow to pay those future warranty claims. They could be an issue for a new company needing cashflow.
I can tell you as a Tesla customer since 2010, in the early days, even thought they had a fairly short warranty period, Tesla did a decent amount of "goodwill" repairs for people. That way they didn't have to escrow a lot of cash and could just write off the repair cost on a case-by-case basis. Not saying Scout should do that, just saying there is a middle path here.
I’d be curious on the numbers side how much $$$ per vehicle is set aside for warranty work. It’s certainly a contingency but always wondered if it’s $20 per vehicle,$50,$150? What is the average warranty cost for each vehicle produced?That's interesting and makes sense, but at the end of the day they still have to compete against the likes of Rivian/etc. so hopefully they can compete on that front as well.
There's a major ramp... From Gen 1 to Gen 2 - especially for a new OEM. Luckily Scout has the backing of VW & Rivian's Zonal stuff to help flatten that curve.I’d be curious on the numbers side how much $$$ per vehicle is set aside for warranty work. It’s certainly a contingency but always wondered if it’s $20 per vehicle,$50,$150? What is the average warranty cost for each vehicle produced?
Perhaps someone can go spelunking through Tesla and Rivian financials to try and tease that out. I just remember in the early-ish days of Tesla there was a brouhaha that Tesla was decreasing their warranty reserves in order to goose their financials by allowing them to immediately recognize more revenue on each car. People were worried that this would lead Tesla to deny more warranty claims. We have never been denied anything but we haven't had that much go wrong (and as I said before my wife's door handle is the only out of warranty thing that has broken).I’d be curious on the numbers side how much $$$ per vehicle is set aside for warranty work. It’s certainly a contingency but always wondered if it’s $20 per vehicle,$50,$150? What is the average warranty cost for each vehicle produced?
Agreed. But it's a big jump from Rivian, Tesla, etc to Hyundai/Kia.That's interesting and makes sense, but at the end of the day they still have to compete against the likes of Rivian/etc. so hopefully they can compete on that front as well.
As a lifetime VW owner I can tell you having VW's backing for a first model year anything isn't exactly comforting.There's a major ramp... From Gen 1 to Gen 2 - especially for a new OEM. Luckily Scout has the backing of VW & Rivian's Zonal stuff to help flatten that curve.
I look at the cost as part warranty and part marketing expense. It's a way to incentivize customers to take a leap of faith and buy an unproven vehicle from an unproven company without risking unforeseen expenses due to failures down the road.Agreed. But it's a big jump from Rivian, Tesla, etc to Hyundai/Kia.
I am following what is accessible re: VW operations plummeting in Europe, and VW dealership lawsuits in US against Scout Motors; I happen to live in Texas which will aggressively hold a no direct purchase clause; but theres loopholes to take the keys over in other states such as CO; however, VW dealerships will pretty much say, "bless your heart" if you think you will be bringing a Scout to their dealership for warranty or service. So, perhaps Scout Motors is planning warranty at created Service Centers for big stuff, and Mobile Units for small stuff? That's a rumor right now. And I'm sure it gets messier, and changes week to week, as nego's travel down the pipelines. I remember similar nego's in my working life, bliss. Anyways, food for thought & I hope the businesses involved can reach an ethical and fair agreement.
As a lifetime VW owner I can tell you having VW's backing for a first model year anything isn't exactly comforting.![]()
Exactly, thanks for redirecting my post, I was looking for the Scout language. We were in the contractor end and built a couple 'Tesla service centers' when they were rolling out, so I've seen the model. Look forward to more info as plans continue.![]()
Where will I be able to service a Scout® vehicle? | Scout Motors Help Center
support.scoutmotors.com
Scout will be able to stand on the shoulders of Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, etc. They have all of this figured out. Oklahoma is also a no DTC state but instead of a "store" they have a "gallery" where you can check out the car, do a test drive, and then they have a computer set up where you can order your car from HQ, outside of Oklahoma. They have recently figured out a loophole to allow them to ship your car to the gallery although I recall some limitations based on financing method. Worst case you drive it home from Kansas City.I am following what is accessible re: VW operations plummeting in Europe, and VW dealership lawsuits in US against Scout Motors; I happen to live in Texas which will aggressively hold a no direct purchase clause; but theres loopholes to take the keys over in other states such as CO; however, VW dealerships will pretty much say, "bless your heart" if you think you will be bringing a Scout to their dealership for warranty or service. So, perhaps Scout Motors is planning warranty at created Service Centers for big stuff, and Mobile Units for small stuff? That's a rumor right now. And I'm sure it gets messier, and changes week to week, as nego's travel down the pipelines. I remember similar nego's in my working life, bliss. Anyways, food for thought & I hope the businesses involved can reach an ethical and fair agreement.