Is there anything SM could offer to get you to switch from EREV to BEV?

  • From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

    Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

    How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

    Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

    So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.


    We are Scout Motors.
My only complaint is range. I regularly drive 400 plus miles one way. and like to travel. I dropped my cyber truck order because they couldn't deliver on range. Been very Happy with my Y, and its been a fun ride, but when I need to travel I either have to stop 4 times or take an ICE vehicle.
I have a standard range R1T that I added bigger tires to and cut my range down to 215 miles or so and I'd still rather stop as many times as necessary than take an ICE vehicle. Maybe its age, but I thoroughly enjoy road tripping an EV and getting out, walking around and just taking it a slower pace. IMO it makes the overall experience that much better by making it less stressful, and less trying to beat the guy in the other lane or see who can get out of Buccee's faster and back on the highway. IYKYK 😅
 
  • Haha
Reactions: cyure and speedrye
My only complaint is range. I regularly drive 400 plus miles one way. and like to travel. I dropped my cyber truck order because they couldn't deliver on range. Been very Happy with my Y, and its been a fun ride, but when I need to travel I either have to stop 4 times or take an ICE vehicle.
Welcome to the community, if I haven’t welcomed you already.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Scout_Lookout
What is a standard range R1T? How big is your battery pack? I agree with the part about stretching the legs after 3 or 4 hours of driving for sure!
Standard Range is basically the same thing but with a smaller battery pack, no subwoofer, and no tow hooks on the front. Everything else is pretty much the same.

🔋 Gen 2 Standard Battery (2025+ Models)
The Gen 2 Standard battery features completely updated cell chemistry and architecture to improve weight efficiency: [1]
  • Usable Capacity: 92.5 kWh
  • Total/Rated Capacity: 95.6 kWh
  • Battery Chemistry: Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP)
  • Estimated Range: 258 miles (EPA estimate on standard 22" wheels)
  • Charging Infrastructure: 237.0 Ah rated capacity, 4 modules, 252 total cells, and a minimum pack voltage of 315V.
  • DC Fast Charging: Peak charging rate of up to 211 kW, enabling a 10% to 80% charge in roughly 29.5 minutes. [1, 2, 3, 4]
 
Sorry, I didn't read all 26 pages. About towing...how would you charge the ev tow vehicle? Most charging sites that I've seen (not looking at many because I drive an ICE 2023 Bronco) the vehicles are backed. So would you have to drop your load and then go to the charger? The only way I see myself going full EV is when the tech matches ICE for "refueling". 10 minutes and I'm fully refueled. Now to be honest when we travel, most fuel stops end up being 30 minutes...so I would go 30 minutes. Most of the time I read that the shorter charging times, get you to 80% and apparently that is good enough. Doesn't have the same ring as FULL. Looking forward to see these on the street instead of the what appears to be the same two divas with different paint jobs or wraps. I ended up waiting about three years for my Bronco but that's because I bought a 2020 Colorado ZR2 Bison diesel, COVID, etc.

Are you asking about the BEV or the EREV? The answer is different based on which you pick.

In the BEV, you would either have to find a pull through charger (rare, but getting more popular as the networks are built out) or you would have to drop the trailer so you can back into the charging space. One of the asks early on was that the charge port be moved to the front for this reason, but Scout indicated there were reasons to keep the charge port on the rear.

In the EREV, you would not charge while on the road. You would gas-and-go like any ICE vehicle. As long as you don't overload the trailer, the EREV should be able to pull a trailer and maintain the battery charge using the Harvester engine. There would likely be a "tow mode" setting in the EREVs configuration, so the computer would make sure the truck ran using the battery and engine together to maintain performance.

That gas-and-go is one of the main appeals of the EREV. When driving short distances around home, the EREV would act like a BEV. Charge it at home, drive it on pure battery, and get the benefit of cheap home electrical power (running a BEV with home charging costs about 20% of the equivalent in gasoline). When driving long distances you don't charge, you fill up with gasoline and the Harvester generates the electricity. So on long trips it acts like an ICE.

Regarding charging to 80% while on a road trip. That is advice for a BEV when on a road trip because of the charging rate drop above 80%. A DC fast charger will charge fastest below 80%, above that the charge rate slows down to avoid overheating the battery. So, from a time perspective it is usually faster to plan to charge to ~80% with more frequent charging stops.