Infrastructure

  • From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

    Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

    How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

    Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

    So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.


    We are Scout Motors.

LonnyMacD

Scout Community Veteran
Jun 3, 2025
228
526
Los Angeles
@Jamie@ScoutMotors, how is Scout going to fit in with the existing charging infrastructure across the country? Will the Scout systems be compatible with Tesla or everyone else? Right now most of the non-Tesla stations across the country are (in comparison) substandard.
 
@Jamie@ScoutMotors, how is Scout going to fit in with the existing charging infrastructure across the country? Will the Scout systems be compatible with Tesla or everyone else? Right now most of the non-Tesla stations across the country are (in comparison) substandard.
You're not wrong. The non-Tesla stations can be extremely questionable. Ionna is really good too though. Frankly, I think they are a better experience, though not nearly as available. I will not fast charge anywhere else other than those two.

Scout will use NACS and you should have a CCS to NACS adapter on hand if you happen to pull into a CCS charging station. I have a NACS to CCS right now and they aren't terribly expensive.
 
You're not wrong. The non-Tesla stations can be extremely questionable. Ionna is really good too though. Frankly, I think they are a better experience, though not nearly as available. I will not fast charge anywhere else other than those two.

Scout will use NACS and you should have a CCS to NACS adapter on hand if you happen to pull into a CCS charging station. I have a NACS to CCS right now and they aren't terribly expensive.
I would expect Rivian's infrastructure to be available to Scout too (given the Zonal JV) and Rivian RAN charging are the best DCFC's I have used, and generally in great locations.
 
I would expect Rivian's infrastructure to be available to Scout too (given the Zonal JV) and Rivian RAN charging are the best DCFC's I have used, and generally in great locations.
This is a really good point! I forgot about RAN. I've never had the change to DCFC at one because there's only one in Minnesota and it's in the cities so it's really not much use. I've heard great things about them though (except the prices).
 
  • Like
Reactions: LonnyMacD and R1TVT
I avoid brand-T charging stations. They're generally less reliable than the others in the sense of there's always a pile of the chargers offline and the rest are typically filled every-other-stall, which excludes many non-T vehicles. I've had far better charging success at non-T charging stations.

But after 80k miles of road tripping, I don't really care about the brand. The infrastructure is good enough that it doesn't really matter what brand the charger is, we never (literally never in the past two years) have an issue charging.
 
I avoid brand-T charging stations. They're generally less reliable than the others in the sense of there's always a pile of the chargers offline and the rest are typically filled every-other-stall, which excludes many non-T vehicles. I've had far better charging success at non-T charging stations.

But after 80k miles of road tripping, I don't really care about the brand. The infrastructure is good enough that it doesn't really matter what brand the charger is, we never (literally never in the past two years) have an issue charging.

I'm assuming you've got preferred regular charging stations in each direction you regularly travel? Or are you more adventurous, trying out a little of everything when out and about?
 
I'm assuming you've got preferred regular charging stations in each direction you regularly travel? Or are you more adventurous, trying out a little of everything when out and about?
Besides two regular road trip destinations (LA area ~monthly and Northern CA a couple times a year), most of our driving is to new places, so we try new chargers fairly frequently.

There are some sections of highway that we traverse to get almost anywhere, and when there's a new charger installed, we'll try it out. But the pace of new installs has slowed in our area, so we haven't had that opportunity lately.